Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Anti-climatic fourth of july

Sorry to be neglecting this blog so much but the time has just been going by so quickly!

This weekend Eric and I traveled to Antigua and Panajachel/ Lake Atitlan. We did not plan on staying in Antigua but we had a few mix ups with the shuttle system and the night in Antigua just seemed to be calling our name. I took my first chicken bus, or basically the most crowded bus with absolutely no shock absorbing abilities. We literally "bounced" to Antigua. Once we got there, we found a cute place to stay and then grabbed some dinner at a palace looking place. It was decorated with a very classy Latin style so it was only fitting to order a glass of wine to match the ambiance.

The next day we woke up, had breakfast at a cafe and booked a shuttle. We had even more mix ups with where we were supposed to be and it was definitely not due to language barriers. The guy told us to wait for the shuttle at the wrong place and we did not board the right one. When we picked up more people. someone had called the driver and he was told to turn around. Once we had turned around, our initial shuttle didn't wait for us so we stayed on the wrong shuttle going to the same place. So not only was that interaction eating our time, the weather also held us back for an additional two hours. Finally, we passed a few major waterfalls and found ourselves in Panajachel.

We checked into a hotel that was pretty and had a great rate per night. We had dinner at that restaurant which was pretty expensive but SO worth it. We discovered that when you order a salad in Guatemala rarely has a lettuce base. I ordered one and it had tomatoes, cheese and I think some celery. That night was pretty laid back, Eric went out when I decided to sleep.

The next day we had some breakfast by the lake and then went kayaking. The water was a bit choppy but it was great to see all the beautiful views on the lake. We could see three volcanos and other towns. That night we went to dinner again on the lake and had a bit of a cab fiasco. The driver told us it would be 10 quetzales per person, but once we got to the lake he told us it was 20 per person. Eric didn't back down and refused to pay which was a smart move. The way back was only 10 Q total.. We really aren't the dumb gringos he thought we were!
That same day was the fourth of july so we had to go out at night. We set out to find other Americans but had to settle for a few Canadians and a Guatemalan that spoke English. We had a few sing-a-longs and toasts to the US. It was a great time.

Monday, we woke up pretty late and decided to take the shuttle at four. We knocked around Panajachel going in and out of markets trying as hard as we could not to be bombarded with vendors. When we finally returned, we met with a group of 18 people. It was a bit overwhelming and it didn't help that we got into a bit of trouble with the coordinator because we weren't supposed to stay another day but other volunteers had told us differently. I am still deciding where to go for the weekend now since I have already missed one work day.

The new gang is great. I kind of wish it was only around 10 new people because 18 is getting hard to keep track of. I'm also not going to lie, I'm really missing home for the first time. I just want my own bed, I want to throw my toilet paper in the toilet not in the trash, put on normal clothes and just do American things. I don't know what exactly those things are but I will find them when I get back. :)

I now have two more volunteers with me in my placement. It's so much more fun with other volunteers there. We are coming up with some really good ideas to entertain the ladies. The other day we made necklaces out of yarn and straws. All of our little projects are for little kids but the elderly really like it.

Last night we went out as a big group together to Zona Viva, a clubbing area. We had a group of about 15 people so it didn't even matter when we walked into a big place when no one was there because we were the party. It was a good thing I didn't go to the gym that day because I think I danced for about two hours straight. And speaking of dancing, the gym I have a membership at here offers Zumba type classes. But actual latin americans teaching that class makes it like 10 times harder but it was still a blast. Even men were there dancing!

Today I have to go to my placement and then find out if I'm going to Tikal again. If I don't go, I'm here by myself or traveling alone. I have to get the ok from Virginia since I have already missed one work day this week. I really hope she says yes. So my next blog should be interesting. Until then, much love. XO Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carolyn
    I have really enjoyed reading your blog. It is so thoughtful of you to let us share in your experiences. You write like you talk and I miss hearing my Carolyn talking!! It won't be long and you will be back in the good old USA.... YEAH... Audra is enjoying being back home. My mom was here for the weekend when she arrived and so there was a lot of good home-made food!!!! She has a lot of pictures and stories and we will have to do a mom-daughter sharing time when you return. Your mom is taking me out for my birthday on Friday night. I don't know too many people that are as thoughtful as your mom. Probably why she has 5 million friends. l Hey, I heard that you saw my niece Katie Callaghan, while you were there. You are even running into people that you know while you are in Guatemala. Boy, you really are your mother's daughter.
    xoxox
    Debbie (the other mom--the boring one)
    Take care and enjoy your last days as a Central American. We are going to have fun in Chicago. Shrek, Cubs, shopping, the Omni Hotel, Graham Elliott's restaurant..................

    ReplyDelete