Sunday, June 27, 2010

crazy coast stories (CCS!)

I'm finally back from my adventure to the Pacific Coast from the weekend. It was an absolute blast! I guess I am saying that about most things here but it truly was. Friday we had to say our goodbyes to Olivia which was depressing. We then we boarded our taxi and began our 3 hour trek to the ocean. The scenery on the way was breath taking with volcanos in the background and so much green. Our taxi driver dropped us off at a dock where we took a 20 minute boat ride to get to Montoricco where we were staying.

I can't get over the fact about how relaxed everything is around here. For example, people are late all the time and when I made the reservation for the hostel we stayed in, they didn't even ask me for a credit card or any form of ID to get into the room. Not even my last name! I think the relaxed nature of this country has it's pros and cons. I get frustrated sometimes when things run really late or I don't know what is going on. But those frustrations are only very minor. The worst is not being able to understand people. I can speak enough spanish to have decent conversations but if people don't speak slowly enough or use the right vocab I have absolutely no idea what they are saying.

Anyway, once we got to the place after wandering around for longer than needed, we took some showers, chilled at the bar and then played in the ocean. The waves were massive!! We got pulled under so many times but were loving it. The hammocks were a nice place to hang out too. We came back to a lovely room with two bats flying around. Yes, I did just say bats. At first I was freaking out then I just got used to the fact that I would have to deal. Then it just became funny. I'm getting pretty used to roughing it now!

The next day, we woke up had breakfast right on the ocean, read our books, took a long walk and met new friends. Watching the world cup was a good gathering place to make friends but it was unfortunate that we lost. At night a group of kids recruited us for a silly game which I was glad to have been a part of... even though it did involve me getting into a boat by myself and singing for an awkward period of time. We played with the bar owner whose name was Randy, and there was no chance of forgetting his name because his hat spelled it out in big block letters. Lots of fun... there were some crazy dance parties in the rain that night too.

Today we chilled again on the beach. It was so beautiful out and watching dogs frolic together and horses trot by was great. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the hot black sand has reached every orifice of my body at this point and let me tell you, I have never been so happy to come back to a sandless and lizardless shower to get clean.

We have 13 new people now, a very diverse and great group. They are here for a week all working on the same project. Tomorrow will be another interesting day. Until then, much love. XO Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment